thanks again to the talk for having me on the show earlier this week! my favorite part, and i’m sure aisha’s favorite part was the cocktail. sara gilbert (who could only eat the olives along with the drink) said that she loved the combo of the olives and cocktail, if you wanted to go super simple for a gathering.
check out the talk’s website for the other recipes from my segment, and click here to view the full video!
fall in a glass
yield: 12 drinks
1 oz apple syrup, recipe below
1 ½ ounces rye whiskey
½ ounces lillet
¼ ounce green chartreuse
3-4 dashes ango bitters
shake all ingredients with ice. serve in a rocks glass with ample ice.
3/4 cup water
½ cup sugar
2 apples, peeled and sliced
½ cinnamon stick 1 each star anise
1 tsp black peppercorns
- toast spices over medium heat. add water, sugar and apples. simmer for 10 minutes. strain liquid and cool..
holiday party nuts
yield: 4 cups
1 egg white
½ cup sugar
2 tbsp honey
½ tsp rub #2
½ tsp salt
4 cups mixed nuts, cashews, pecans, pistachios, marcona almonds
1 cup puffed rice cereal
- preheat oven to 300 degrees
- in a stand mixer or with hand beaters mix egg whites until frothy. add sugar, honey, masala and salt and mix until well combined. toss nuts and rice crispies with mixture.
- place on a parchment lined baking sheet. cook nuts for 25 minutes or until crunchy.
- allow nuts to cool and break into small clusters.
warm marinated olives
2 heads garlic, cloves separated and peeled
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 oranges, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 cup thinly sliced shallots
1 anaheim chile pepper, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons pink peppercorns
2 pounds whole olives, mixed (favorites are cerignolas, manzanillas, arbequinas)
- preheat the oven to 400f. put the garlic cloves on a sheet of aluminum foil, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt. fold the foil over to create a sealed pouch and roast the garlic until the cloves are lightly brown and very tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
- meanwhile, in a small nonreactive saucepan, bring the orange juice, sugar, and sherry vinegar to a boil. stir in the shallots and sliced chile, return them to a boil, then remove from the heat and allow to coll to room temperature.
- heat a small saute pan over medium heat. add the fennel, coriander, mustard seeds, and peppercorns and toast for a few minutes, until lightly browned and very fragrant. transfer the spices to a mortar and break up into smaller pieces with a pestle.
- in a medium bowl, combine the garlic and olives with the orange juice mixture and spices. refrigerate letting the mixture marinate at least overnight.
- preheat the oven to 300f. put the olives and marinade in an ovenproof serving dish or other baking dish and heat for about 10 minutes, until warmed through. serve.