i am not gonna lie, or will get coal in my stocking … i have never been much of an eggnog drinker. but when we developed this recipe for our book signing at whole foods, i was converted. it is like bourbon ice cream melted and frothed. yummmmmmm. i think if i leave a glass of this for santa, i will be a happy girl on christmas morning.
whole foods book signing
what: “sipping and signing” book signing and eggnog drinkin’
where: whole foods lincoln park
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
8 ea egg yolks
3 ea egg whites
1 cup sugar
5 ea star anise
1 ea cinnamon stick
2 ea thai chilies, dried
¾ cup bourbon
1. toast all the spices until fragrant.
2. add the heavy cream, milk & salt. bring to a boil, then remove from stove & set aside. remove star anise, cinnamon stick & thai chilies & reserve.
3. in a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine the yolks & sugar and beat on high until the yolks are slightly pale and begin to form ribbons when dragged across the bowl of yolk mixture. should appear thick
4. turn the speed of the mixer to low and very slowly begin to add the hot milk mixture to temper the eggs. keep adding small amounts until the yolks are heated, not scrambled, until all the milk is added.
5. transfer to a bowl, add the cinnamon stick & star anise back to the mixture. cover with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator overnight.
6. the next day, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
7. stir the egg whites into the nog along with the bourbon. remove the cinnamon & star anise to serve!