serves: 4 people
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 head cauliflower, quartered, outer leaves and core removed and cut into 1/4″ slices
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp. “crunch butter,”* room temp
1/4 c mint, torn into pieces + 1 tbsp set aside
1/4 c pine nuts, toasted + 1 tbsp. set aside
1/2 c parmesan, grated + 1 tbsp. set aside
1/3 c pickled peppers**
- heat oil in a large skillet. add cauliflower and cook over high heat until carmalized and soft, 6 minutes
- season with salt and cook an additional 2-3 minutes
- add crunch butter. when melted toss in mint, peppers, pine nuts, and parmesan. cook an additional 2 minutes.
- plate in a bowl and sprinkle with additional mint, pine nuts, and parmesan.
* crunch butter
yield: 1.5 cups
5 oz butter, room temp.
2 ea. garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
6 tbsp panko bread crumbs
-in a bowl, mash the butter until softened with a fork (or potato masher). add the remaining ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
yield: 1 qt.
*3 ea. banana peppers, seeds removed, sliced into thin rings on a mandolin
*3 ea. hungarian peppers, seeds removed, sliced into thin rings on a mandolin
2 c champagne vinegar
4 tbsp salt
3/4 c sugar
- in a pot, bring vinegar, salt, and sugar to a boil.
- while still hot, pour the pickling liquid over the peppers.
- let cool to room temperature, keeping the peppers submerged in the liquid.
- when cool, cover and refrigerate.
*in the restaurant we use a crumber to remove all of the seeds from the peppers to ensure that we can keep them whole and not pierce the flesh. you can use a long spoon or a pairing knife.